Date: Wed 09 Oct 2019

By David Simpson

Tuesday Night Football

Midweek Round-Up

There were a handful of matches in the BetVictor Southern League on Tuesday night.

In the Premier Division South, Yate Town won for the first time in the league since August 14th with a 2-1 success at The Jelf Stadium against Hartley & Wintney to move off the foot of the table. Louis Britton proved to be the Bluebells` hero on the night, opening the scoring after 25 minutes and then netting the winner 3 minutes into stoppage time at the end of the game after Adam Cornell had pulled the Hampshire side back on level terms 4 minutes after half-time.

The other Premier South encounter saw Swindon Supermarine move up to the seventh spot after a comfortable 3-0 win at the Webbswood Stadium against Blackfield & Langley. Ryan Campbell put the hosts in front after 27 minutes and 7 minutes before half-time, Conor McDonagh doubled `Marine`s advantage. A 64th minute third from Harry Williams killed off any hope of a comeback by the Watersiders.

In Division One Central, Bedworth United completed a 2-0 Oval win over Kidlington to move into tenth place in the table. Mitch Piggon, now in his third spell with the Greenbacks, broke the deadlock right on the stroke of half-time. And Alex Troke added a second for the hosts 9 minutes after the restart.

There was a thriller in the Division One South clash between Cinderford Town and fourth-placed Evesham United at the Causeway Ground.

James Harding gave the Foresters an early 8th-minute lead. Matt Dodd pulled United level in the 15th minute but the hosts turned that round to lead 4-1 at half-time, courtesy of Craig Norman after 30 minutes, Ethan Moore 8 minutes later and Andy Lewis a minute before the whistle. Just 2 minutes after the restart though, Adam Page reduced the deficit to two and just shy of the hour-mark, Paul Sullivan made it 3-4. And the visitors were handed a golden opportunity to take a point from the game when sub Kai Tonge was brought down in the box by Sam Turl. However, former Evesham `keeper Andy Hannah saved Lee Chilton`s penalty and was quickly up to save the winger`s second effort.The win lifted Cinderford to fifth spot, level on points with Evesham.

It sounds as though most of the thrills and spills were in Cinderford though as the evening`s other game saw Moneyfields and Cirencester Town share a 0-0 draw in Hampshire.