Date: Sun 28 Apr 2019

By David Simpson

Weymouth Clinch Title and Promotion

#SFL Weekend Review - Premier South

The battle for the Evo-Stik Southern League Premier Division South title went right to the wire but in the end, wins for both Weymouth and Taunton Town today meant it is the Terras who return to the Vanarama National League South at long last.

A crowd of 2,676 at the Bob Lucas Stadium saw Weymouth beat Farnborough 3-0 meaning whatever Taunton did, they were champions.

Goals from Yemi Odubade, Brandon Goodship and Ben Thomson won it for the home side.

Taunton did their best, winning 2-1 at the Camrose in front of 1,011 – a result which in the end cost Basingstoke Town their place in the Premier Division.

Goals from Ryan Brett and Rocky Neal outgunned Ben Wright to seal the second spot for the Peacocks.

But results elsewhere meant it was gloom for Basingstoke.

The day began with Tiverton Town, Gosport Borough, Hendon, Walton Casuals and Basingstoke all in danger of falling into the final relegation spot.

Frome Town and Staines Town were already down, but Tiverton`s 1-1 draw at Ladysmead against Beaconsfield Town, with Charlie Losasso`s 62nd-minute equaliser to Tom Bath`s goal right on half-time, keeping the Yellows up,

Hendon`s 1-0 win at the Silver Jubilee against Swindon Supermarine, courtesy of an early 4th minute Shaq Hippolyte-Patrick goal,

Walton Casuals` 2-1 win at Merthyr Town, with Tom Brewer and top scorer James Ewington on target in the first half – Jay Foulston replying 3 minutes into stoppage time –

Gosport`s excellent 2-2 draw at third-placed Metropolitan Police – John Gilbert and Jonathan Hippolyte for the Met and Ryan Pennery and Ibra Sekajja for Boro – was enough to keep them all up and send `Stoke down.

Poole Town secured the final playoff spot as expected as they played bottom side Staines, who had already conceded 161 goals at kick-off.

They go down with a minus-128 goal difference after shifting a further seven to the Dolphins, leaving Kings Langley`s marvellous season in disappointment, despite doing their bit by winning 2-0 against Frome.

Marvin Brooks and sub-Adam Grange both bagged braces for the Dolphins, with Sam Griffin, James Constable and Jez Bedford also on the mark.

It was a good day personally for Ryan Moss and Nathaniel Oseni, who both hit hat-tricks in an extraordinary 6-0 win for Harrow Borough at Salisbury, who in the end finished fourth and now face Taunton in the playoffs.

Elsewhere, Hartley Wintney finished a very creditable eighth after a 3-1 home win over Dorchester Town, while Wimborne Town and Chesham United finished up with a 0-0 draw at The W+S Stadium.

Read More At and Follow
Non League Today