Date: Sun 10 Feb 2019

By David Simpson

#SFL Weekend Review - Premier Central

Poppies Maintain Five-Point Advantage

Kettering Town maintained their five-point lead at the top of the Evo-Stik Southern League Premier Division Central table after a 4-1 victory at Redditch United on Saturday.

Second-placed Stourbridge also won, 2-0 at Amblecote against play-off chasers Biggleswade Town, meaning the top two possess a massive 12 point lead over third-placed Stratford Town, whose game today was off.

The Poppies opened the scoring on 14 minutes when Lindon Meikle fired across home `keeper Reece Francis.

And the lead was doubled on the half-hour when a fine run from Rhys Hoenes saw him fire the ball under Francis.

Aaron O’Connor hit the bar early in the second half before Redditch pulled one back on 62 minutes through Danico Johnson.

The Poppies restored their two-goal lead after 69 minutes through Dan Holman and Hoenes who ran clear and slotted past Francis a minute from time.

The Glassboys remain five points behind, with the Poppies possessing two games in hand, after beating the Waders 2-0 in front of 633.

It wasn`t one of the home side`s better performances but goals from Leon Broadhurst after just 6 minutes and then Luke Benbow 20 minutes from time did the business for the hosts.

King`s Lynn Town remain in fourth spot but were on the wrong end of a 1-0 defeat at Hayden Road to a now seventh-placed AFC Rushden & Diamonds side.

A crowd of 614 saw the only goal arrive after 39 minutes with Tom Lorraine`s 20th goal of the season.

Alvechurch are back in the top five after a 3-0 Lye Meadow victory over rock-bottom Bedworth United, who are now 14 points from safety.

In tricky conditions, Tom Turton gave `Church the lead from the penalty spot on the half-hour mark.

Five minutes later, Kieron Cook doubled their lead and Taylor Morrison made sure with a third goal 19 minutes from time.

Coalville Town are eighth but only four points off a top five spot after beating lowly Hitchin Town 4-1 at Owen Street.

A 26th minute Max Ryan own goal set the Ravens off and Scott McManus made it 2-0 right on the stroke of half-time.

Tom McGlinchey added a third with 12 minutes remaining and Kyle Perry the fourth just 2 minutes later, shortly before Isaac Galliford`s consolation for the Canaries.

Coalville moved above Needham Market though as they were held to a 1-1 draw at Bloomfields by second-bottom Halesowen Town, who are now just two points from the safety mark.

Matt Curley gave the Yeltz a 12th minute lead that Joe Marsden levelled 13 minutes later from the spot.

That point was bad news for struggling St Neots Town, whose young side suffered a 5-0 drubbing at a Tamworth side who are now six points clear of the bottom three.

A crowd of 512 saw Jack Concannon put the Lambs ahead after just 4 minutes.

Chris Lait then killed off the Saints with two goals either side of the half-time break.

And two goals in 2 minutes midway through the second half from Gregg Smith made it a nap hand for the Lambs.

The Saints` neighbours St Ives Town suffered a 3-0 defeat at their Pro-Edge Stadium to fellow mid-table side Rushall Olympic.

A 12th-minute own goal by midfielder Rob Parker gave the Pics the lead which Simeon Maye eventually added to 11 minutes into the second half.

Joe Hull made the points safe for Liam McDonald`s side with a third on 67 minutes.

Royston Town moved level on points with twelfth-placed Banbury United, who had four points deducted, after beating them 3-0 at Garden Walk.

Vance Bola broke the deadlock to give the Crows a 53rd-minute lead that Tom Newman quickly doubled 6 minutes later.

Eren Kinali added a third in the 82nd minute.

Lowestoft Town moved a point above St Neots after sharing a 1-1 draw at Kirkby Road against Barwell.

The Trawlerboys led through Ben Fowkes` 31st-minute opener until 11 minutes from time when Jai Rowe popped up with the Canaries` equaliser.

Read More At and Follow
Non League Today